Monday, December 29, 2014

❄If I Stay (Book Review)❄️

Hello my readers! This will be my last review of the year as for now, I will be reviewing Gayle Forman's novel If I Stay. This young adult novel is about Mia Hall, who deals with the aftermath of a car accident involving her family. In a coma she later realizes that she is experiencing an out-of-body experience, while watching her friends and extended family members in the hospital. Also she has to decide whether to stay or to leave the world.
Characters:
Mia Hall- She is a 17-year-old girl that is quiet, kind, and a musically gifted. She often struggles with belonging because she is from a rock and roll family and also has a rock star boyfriend, she often feels out of place.
Adam Wilde- Is Mia's boyfriend, who is very handsome and loves music. He is a singer and plays the guitar while being apart of a band called "Shooting Star". It is later revealed that he is the reason Mia decided at the end of the book.
Kim Schein- Is Mia's best friend and is sarcastic and obedient to her emotional mother. In the novel it is described she and Mia are very similar.
Teddy Hall- Is Mia's younger brother and admires her. Mia thinks of him as her own son. 
Kat Hall- Is Mia's and Teddy's mother and loves rock music and her family. She is described in the novel as "tough as nails, tender as kittens".
Denny Hall- Is Mia's and Teddy's father who is quite rebellious but mature. He steps up to be a father and eventually gives up his band in favor of teaching.
Overall Ranking:
I give Gayle Forman's novel a 5 out of 5 stars because I was critical about how the out-of-body experience would be played out in this novel but it flowed really well. I liked how we received all these flashbacks that create suspense and emotion towards Mia and what she is going through. Before I read it the movie had already premiered and I was given away the ending by my friends but the ending was still unexpected and left on a cliffhanger when I read that part of the book. Even though I'm critical about cliffhangers I still enjoyed the book and it made an exception. I would recommend this to any young adult reader and adult reader because the novel is mature and discusses many topics and themes through out the novel. I will try and review the movie adaptation and the sequel to this novel soon. Don't forget to continue following me and my sites below. Till next year my wonderful readers!





No comments:

Post a Comment